Losing a pet can be a very difficult experience for many people and sometimes it helps to be with others that understand.
Society for Companion Animal Studies is working with The Ralph Site to deliver the Pet Loss Support Online Surgery.
Each fortnight we looked at the questions, experiences and worries that people just like you are facing around the difficult time of losing a pet and we talked about them live and online.
We are taking a break from fortnightly surgeries as SCAS focuses on its transitional phase of development.
Recordings from previous sessions are available for your free viewing:
- July 3rd 2012 – Areas covered in this episode include: Anticipatory grief, when is the “right time”? Responsibility grief, the human-animal bond, common responses to grief and how grief may affect you. Planning to ease your grief and ways to help the journey.
- July 17th 2012 – Areas covered in this episode include: Grief in a surviving pet when another pet dies, difficulties when people don’t understand a loss – the disenfranchised nature of pet loss especially with some species. Teenagers and grief in young people. Where to get support after losing a pet, ways to memorialise your pet. Children and pet loss, parental considerations. Common responses to grief and how grief may affect you. Home euthanasia or at the surgery.
- July 31st 2012 – Areas covered in this episode include: The Pet Bereavement Support Service, how grief may affect you, where to turn for support, after death body care options – cremation, burial, etc. Going into residential care and the pet loss issues.
- August 14th 2012 – Areas covered in this episode include: Young people and grief – the added complications of grieving in a young person’s world, how grief may affect you, where to turn for support, The Monday Night Candle Ceremony, The Rainbow Bridge.
- August 28th 2012 – Areas covered in this episode include: When a pet is lost or stolen
When a pet needs to be rehomed, how grief may affect you. What actually happens in a euthanasia – the process for small animals and horses – preparing yourself for what will happen. Pet loss and the issues around taking on a new pet.
- September 25th 2012
- October 9th 2012
- October 23rd 2012
- Special Christmas Pet Loss Support Online Surgery – 4th Dec 2012
Further pet loss support:
We hope that these online surgeries will offer some support and comfort to those of you going through the loss of a pet. If you are finding it difficult to cope or would like to talk to someone in confidence you may find it helpful to contact the Pet Bereavement Support Service for personal emotional support either through telephone and/or email contact or to place a memorial online. The service is open every day of the week from 8.30am until 8.30pm. Your call will be answered by a trained volunteer with experience of pet loss and supporting others during this difficult time.
Pet Bereavement Support Service: Telephone 0800 096 6606 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ralph site is a not-for-profit website that provides support to pet owners around the loss of a beloved companion. It was set up by vet Shailen Jasani (MA VetMB MRCVS DipACVECC) in July 2011 after the loss of his beloved cat, Ralph, following a motor vehicle accident in November 2010. The site is dedicated to all the animals that have touched and continue to touch the hearts of so many people.