Recommended Operating Systems and Hardware
- Operating system: Windows XP, Vista, Win7, Win8, or mac OSX (how to find which version of windows you are running) (which MacOS?)
- Audio: sound card and speakers or headphones for listening
- Internet connection: Broadband (1/2 MB) (you should be able to find this information on your Internet bill or do a speed test)
- Screen resolution: at least 800 x 600 (what is your screen resolution?)
- Internet browser: IE 7 or greater, Firefox 2 or greater, browser set to accept cookies and to show the newest version of a page (which browser are you using?)
- All of those items recommended in minimum specifications, PLUS the following:
- Internet connection: Cable modem, DSL or better (1 MB or higher recommended for high-quality video)
- Screen resolution: 1024 x 768
Most browsers are suitable for viewing the content in our online learning area. Internet Explorer 7 or above, Firefox 2x or above, Google Chrome, or Safari for the Mac are all suitable and tried and tested browsers. You will need to ensure that various plugins are also up-to-date (see below). We recommend updating your browser to the latest version. If you are not sure whether your browser and plugins are up to date you can visit the respective websites to check and download as appropriate.
Mozilla Firefox (recommended): http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
Firefox plugin check: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/
Google Chrome: http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en-GB/landing_tv.html
If you are using Google Chrome it should update all its essential plugins and extensions automatically.
Microsoft Internet Explorer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/internet-explorer/products/ie/home
Flash Player: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Adobe Reader: http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/reader.html
For those using Apple Mac – your computer should update automatically but should you need to, you can download the latest version of Safari here: http://www.apple.com/safari/download/
- Make sure that the browser is set to accept cookies (from both 1st party and 3rd party).
- Make sure your popup blocker is either disabled or allows popups from the online learning area.